One of the foundation stones to internet marketing is Keywords.
What are Keywords? To put it simply a keyword is what you put in the search box on Google. A keyword is one, two or more words. Usually you will use more than one word and a one word keyword is too broad. For example if I was looking for something to do with fishing, if I searched “fishing” I would get millions of results. So I would refine it a bit more and search for “fishing rods”. This would narrow the search. When we add keywords to our site we need to be very specific to get results.
Where do I use keywords? Keywords are used at the bottom of blog posts; on your tube videos, ad campaigns, on products, in your blog posts, in any description of your site and or product.
Why do I use a keyword? You use keywords to make it easier for people to find your site. Google has a Google bot (automatic system to look at your web site to see what it is about). By putting the right keywords on your site it makes it easier for Google to match your site with what your customers are searching for.
How do I find good keywords? Start by writing a list of what you think your customers might be looking for. Think of yourself as a customer and write down what you might search for if you were looking for a business like your own. Next you will need to do a bit of research; one tool to use is the https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal. If you sign up for a Google adwords campaign it will give you access to an internal keyword research tool which gives better results. (You can sign up for an account and not have any active ads to get access to this tool).
Using this tool you will find:
- The amount of competition for the keyword
- The number of global searches
- The number of local searches
- The local search trends
The other one I use is Market Samurai; you can download a trial version to try it for 10 days. At a cost of approx $110.00 (US$97.00), I think it is money well spend. Using this programme you can find:
- SEO Competition – Achieve fast search engine rankings by uncovering and targeting weak markets.
- Find Content – Quickly fill your site with content by republishing or researching existing articles online.
- Promotion – Discover easy link-building opportunities, and use high-quality pingback link-building techniques.
- Publish Content – Instantly tag, schedule, publish, promote and track content to your web-site.
- Monetization – Find the most profitable affiliate offers – and write ad copy in just minutes.
- Rank Tracker – Monitor your site’s rankings in Google, Yahoo and Bing for all your keywords at the click of a button.
- Adwords – NEW FEATURE, COMING SOON
Within the program there are many instructional videos that explain all the features and how to use them.